Thursday 19 March 2015

Reflection 1, Week 2.

Introduction


In this week’s blog I will discussing pedagogy, I even tried to get a little creative this week and created an acrostic with the word pedagogy. Most of you would be familiar with an acrostic or maybe just didn’t know that’s what it’s called, anyhow I certainly didn’t. Basically an acrostic is where the first letters of the word are used for either a phrase or individual word, they are often used for poems (Young Writers UK, n.d.). I even managed to find a link between the exercise of creating the acrostic with the theory of Blooms taxonomy. I then further reflect on my own Technological Pedagogical Content Knowledge (TPACK) and where I believe I need further development in this area. I also complete this week’s blog with some further analysis on the Substitution Augmentation Modification & Redefinition Model (SAMR). Finally furthering exploring scaffolding and the ways it is used in the context of this course. 

Pedagogy


As part of this week’s reflection I decided to create an acrostic with the word pedagogy. I used phrases from each letter of the word to further explain what I believe is important to create good pedagogy.

Pedagogy Acrostic


Purpose in what you’re teaching to ensure students obtain a further understanding of the topic.
Energy in the classroom that creates synergy of students and teacher.
Debate that creates discussion and thought around the learning's.
Align content with activities that create classroom interaction.
Get everyone involved by tailoring and mixing activities to students learning styles.
Ownership, students stepping up to control and manage their learning's.
Good learning challenges students.
You’ve got to remember to have fun.

The Pedagogy Acrostic Exercise Linked to Blooms Taxonomy


Acrostics are very useful in remembering the meaning of the word Deanhard & Hokanson (2015). This process of the acrostic really made me analyse the meaning of pedagogy deeper and stretch my thought process in explaining the word whilst being constrained in some way by only being able to use the first letter to construct a phrase. This method could also come under Blooms Taxonomy area of synthesis or application. Acrostics are also used in poetry and as per Fig 1 below the wheel of Blooms Taxonomy class’s poems under the synthesis outer circle. The wheel used in this week’s readings however classed it under application. I think you could debate equally as to which area it comes under but holistically poetry/poems is linked to Blooms Taxonomy and this process certainly aided my learning's in gaining knowledge on pedagogy.





De Bono’s Thinking Hats Explored


Through this week’s wiki task and the use of De Bono’s thinking hats the teacher has enabled students whose locations are scattered throughout Australia to collaborate and discuss the topic the use of mobile phones in the classroom. It may be coincidence but a major link I consider in using technology is to obtain classroom interaction. Through the use of De Bono’s thinking hats this has been created. This week’s De Bono’s thinking hats task has created for distance learning students the chance to team up. It also gave all students the ability to put forward their own opinion with minimum negative feedback or fear of emotional or social criticism. This line of thought must be considered when contemplating digital pedagogy. The use of mobile phones in the classroom could be a useful way of turning a classroom distraction into a positive by discovering the mobile phones strengths which the teacher can use to his/hers advantage in the classroom by creating greater classroom collaboration. 

This got me thinking of ways the mobile phone could be used in the classroom to assist the teacher. In remote locations where students often face great distances and even changing weather conditions which may permit then getting to school. Teachers and students could rely on the mobile phone to still complete lessons for example through Apple’s FaceTime application. This could allow the student to still view the lesson through the camera application on their mobile phone. So in sense they could still hear, see the lesson and even contribute verbally just not physically be there. This would still involve a reliable phone network but could certainly be explored as an option.. Another example I thought of was using the mobile phones features for general activities like the calculator for maths equations or the compass which could be used for outdoor events such as orienteering. The students could also be taught the traditional methods as well to ensure when they do not have access to the technology they have a fall back method. 


Although this may be considered simplistic use of ICT’s in the classroom it would assist in reducing the distraction of the mobile phone in the classroom for personal use. This will enable the teacher to gain some control over the students use on the mobile phone whilst in the classroom.  Rather than trying to control the students personal use on the device by simply banning mobile phones from the classroom. I believe it comes down to the age old saying to this topic if you can’t beat them then join them.


Technological Pedagogical Content Knowledge (TPACK)


In reflection of Technological Pedagogical Content Knowledge (TPACK) I feel only just becoming aware of pedagogy since starting this course I have yet to obtain a greater understanding of this area. 

As my progression continues in this area I would class this as my area for improvement and requires further development. The Technological Content Knowledge (TCK) and Technological Pedagogical Knowledge (TPK) are certainly areas I’m stronger in due to past experiences and recent studies in Business and Information Technology. 


When thinking of ways to integrate Information Communication Technologies (ICT’s) into the classroom I find myself struggling to think of meaningful ways to introduce the use of these items. However as I witness more examples like Yoki and De Bono’s Hats my awareness to ICT’s is expanding and most importantly the purpose of how to use ICT’s to create effective learning. I know this will be an area I will be exploring when my prac studies start. I will be duly examining the use of ICT’s in the school I’m appointed too and also thoroughly examining the teacher’s use of ICT’s to also further my development. 


Whilst researching the topic further I found this great video Fig 2 that reminded me that good teachers are continually learning. The comment on the video that you cannot be a master teacher until you are master learner Fisk & Murphy, (2012). Really points out the fact that teachers need to be continually keeping up with new learning's themselves otherwise they will be left behind and unfortunately so will their students.







Substitution Augmentation Modification & Redefinition Model (SAMR)


As mentioned earlier the mobile phones existing applications like the calculator could be used in the classroom. This example of the calculator being used on the student’s mobile phone would be a good example of substitution in the SAMR model. Opposed to working out findings by pen and paper or using a traditional calculator. 

I believe now becoming aware of the SAMR model this will help myself and other students transitioning into teaching to be aware of technology substitution. This could be an easy habit or trend to become accustom to for teachers when not completely understanding ICT's and there desired purpose. As teachers we need to be aiming for the top two levels of modification and redefinition when applying ICT's in the classroom which will result in transition for students rather than just enhancement. Teachers need to be constantly questioning themselves are their lesson plans incorporating ICT's and achieving a level of transformation for students learning. 


With the case of this subject and creating a blog I believe this would fall under the category modification in the SAMR model. From my own experience at University a traditional subject would have had the students complete this part of the subject in an essay form rather than a blog.  The blog in sense is still having the student conduct the same process of an essay in regards to research, referencing and structure. However the process of the blog is giving me the student greater levels of freedom and feedback by being able to include media means like videos. It also encourages other forms of creativity by enabling students to create their own pieces of work with these other means. Along with the ability to read other students work I find, also widens my process of thought as I'm able to experience other student’s opinions and ideas. I'm also able to openly discuss this with other students in a comfortable supportive environment.

Video in Fig 3 is a short summary of the SAMR Model which was created by students. I found I related better with this explanation then the course video supplied. I believe as this video was created by students that also had recently acquired this information on the SAMR Model they were able to express this in a more meaningful manner which I was able to better relate too. 






The Value of Scaffolding


As part of this week’s blog task we were asked to include a reflection on the purpose and value of scaffolding. I’m still not completely familiar with the understanding around the terminology scaffolding and did not see any real substance explaining it in this week’s reading. I basically interpret it as the structure around the learning process to guide and help the student achieve the learning outcome. I watched the below video Fig 4 on YouTube which summarised scaffolding under four categories.

1.  Meta cognitive this allows the learner to review and access what they already understand.
2. Procedural which guides the learner.
3. Strategic this gives the learner alternatives to a specific task.
4. Conceptual guides the teacher in what to consider.


The video also explained that scaffolds can be used to help guide or direct the learner to a solution if the learner finds themselves struggling to work through or complete the task Stevan (2014). With this in mind I have listed what I believe the scaffolding is for this particular course and which of the four areas they fall under;
  •  Weekly Topics. Procedural.
  •   Weekly readings. Procedural.
  •  Weekly tasks. Procedural.
  •  Discussion Boards. Strategic.
  • Weekly blog. Strategic.
  • Weekly Collaborative session. Conceptual. 


I’m interested if I’m on the right path here with regards to scaffolding and any discussion or critiquing will be greatly appreciated from my comrades.

Anyhow well that’s week two over and I hope you enjoyed my content and would greatly appreciate any feedback or discussion on anything I have raised here.

Week 2.

Posted: 20.03.15


References: 


Denhard, K., & Hokanson, B. (2015). Guides for menorising series. Retrieved from http://www.studygs.net/memory/memacrostic.html

Fisk, E., & Murphy, A. (2012, Feb 22). Teachers: Are you up to date?  A Gallery of Teacher ivideos. [Video file] Retrieved from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-du0hKFv_0

Rich Colosi Media (2014, June 20). The SAMR Model Explained by Students. [Video file] Retrieved from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBce25r8vto

Sowash, J. (2009). Google-Proof Questioning: A New Use for Bloom's Taxonomy [Image]. Retrieved from http://electriceducator.blogspot.ca/2009/11/google-proof-questioning-new-use-for.html

Stevan, W. (2014, Jan 30). Scaffolding in education [Video file]. Retrieved from

Young Writers UK. (n.d.). Welcome to Young Writers’ free Poetry Glossary.

No comments:

Post a Comment