Saturday 11 April 2015

Reflective Synopsis

Introduction 


The final blog entry is a reflection of the last six weeks learning's. I conducted a Positive, Minus and Interesting analysis (PMI) on the process of the blog learning process.
I then conducted a SAMR Model (Substitution, Augmentation, Modification and Redefinition) on how the blog process would have been developed through the use of ICT's.
I then concluded with some final thoughts on my blog experience.


PMI (+ - ?)


Positives 

Being able to view and comment on other student's work really opened up my view and opinion to their reflections, thoughts and ideas. Some of the other student's statements I agreed with, but had not necessarily thought of myself. It was great being able to then make comment and discuss topics on the blog and provide feedback on their blog. I also found it very comforting as I received praise on my work from other student's and it also confirmed you were on the right track with your work. I find this aspect very interesting as it shows the benefits from peer review and in some learning environments the teacher will not always be available to provide praise or constructive feedback. This type of learning would be related to the learning theory Social Constructivism this is learning that takes place with the collaboration with others (GSI Teaching and resource centre, 2015)

Minus


Some areas of concern I found with the blog task was there seemed to be a lot of confusion from some student's on what was actually required in the blog. I noticed a lot of discussion weekly on the forums of students being confused of what was required. I think student's didn't realise the freedom Gary was giving them in this task. I find this same process happening often in the learning environment and the work place. 
In the work environment certain employees can be given a basic explanation of what is required and then left to complete the task with little guidance or assistance. Then there other employees who really need a lot of guidance and instructions. The individual learning styles of students is an area I will need to be aware of in my own teaching. In my future teaching experiences I will be sure to come across student's who fall into different learning styles. I will need to identify these student's preferred styles of learning and then proceed accordingly and tailor parts of my lessons to these student's different learning styles. 



Interesting


From the first week I could really see the benefit of this task. I have always struggled to remember material being taught especially if only reading from a text book. This really reinforced material for me through the use of imagery, video and sound on the sensory level. This cognitivist theory of approach really started to give me a better understanding of how I learn. This can be seen as a schema or symbolic mental construction (Learning-Theories.com, Cognitivism, 2013). 
I was also experiencing neurological pathways being laid and the knowledge was being retained. Creating a blog weekly forced me to recover areas I had learnt but still had not retained. By the end I found the knowledge was there and easy to tap into. An example of this was expanding the SAMR model. At first I had to keep referring back to areas where the abbreviation had been expanded out. By about week four I had memorised what each letter stood for and the concept behind it. I then started to think about the process of the blog and how it was helping me remember certain areas/topics in the learning materials. This ability to think about your own thinking is what neuroscientists call metacognition and as your metacognitive abilities increase research shows they also achieve higher levels (Price-Mitchel, 2015). Although I had read about this and viewed videos on this topic of metacognition this was the light bulb moment for me. I had witnessed and experienced it first hand in my own learning's.


Fig 1. Auto Collage on thinking about thinking.
(C.Falconer. 2011).,  (Love this Pic. n.d.)., (Moran89. n.d.)., (Redlands. n.d.)., (Showbiz Geek. n.d.). (Y. Toribio. 2014). & (K. Tschiesche. 2012). 

SAMR Model 


I also analysed the blog task and processed its movement along the SAMR model and how I believe it has eventuated to the final category of the SAMR model, redefinition. 

Substitution
This would have been typically a task completed as a journal entry. Obviously this would have had restrictions when using a traditional pen and paper technique and the use of ICT's would have been limited or to the basis of a word document.

Augmentation
The augmentation process would have been starting to use more features of the word document like styling and even pasting digital images into the document.

Modification 
This would see the transition from a word document for example to starting to use a blog software to upload entries. The use of the web to publish and produce the journal.

Redefinition
This is where Gary now has the process of a weekly blog entry which encourages the use of different software styles. The input of multiple media files not just text based but the blog can consist of presentations, images, video and podcasts. Also the ability to view and comment on peers work creates greater engagement which would have most certainly not been possible for a pen and paper or word document based task.


Conclusion

Overall I found the blog task aided my style of learning perfectly. In the past I have kept notes as I completed the subject but found none of this material was retained. This has really enhanced my view, on my own learning styles. It has brought to my attention of how other students learn and that I will need to always tailor my teachings to the different learning styles which I come across in the learning environment


(The Slides. n.d.). 


Oh and don't forget to,
(folkalley.com. n.d.).



References:


C.Falconer. (2011). 5 Fertile Thoughts for Personal Growth: Thinking about Thinking. Retrieved from http://www.pickthebrain.com/blog/5-fertile-thoughts-for-personal-growth-thinking-about-thinking/

folkalley.com. (n.d.). Leave a comment. Retrieved from Link

GSI Teaching and resource centre (2015). Social Constructivism
Retrieved from
http://gsi.berkeley.edu/gsi-guide-contents/learning-theory-research/social-constructivism/

K. Tschiesche. (2012). Logical Thinking: How to use your brain to your advantage. Retrieved from http://bookboon.com/blog/2012/02/logical-thinking-how-to-use-your-brain-to-your-advantage/

Learning-Theories.com, Cognitivism (2013). 
Retrieved from http://www.learning-theories.com/cognitivism.html

Love this Pic. (n.d.). Thinking about Thinking. Retrieved from http://www.lovethispic.com/image/51468/thinking-about-thinking


Moran89. (n.d.). Stop Thinking About Thinking. Retrieved from http://moran89.deviantart.com/art/Stop-Thinking-About-it-188170132

M, Price-Mitchell. (2015). Metacognition: Nurturing Self-Awareness in the classroom. Retrieved from: http://www.edutopia.org/blog/8-pathways-metacognition-in-classroom-marilyn-price-mitchell

Redlands. (n.d.). Metacognition-thinking about your thinking. Retrieved from http://www.redlandsyear6.net/metacognition/

Showbiz Geek. (n.d.). The Simpsons, Homer Thinking . Retrieved from Link

The Slides. (n.d.). Doc Pad Presentation. Retrieved from Link

Y. Toribio. (2014). Metacognition: Connecting my Bloom-ing thoughts. Retrieved from http://www.coetail.com/yenidil/2014/09/20/metacognition-connecting-my-bloom-ing-thoughts/










No comments:

Post a Comment